On August 28th (Monday eve), we had our 4th or 5th (can’t remember at the moment) …. Member Appreciation Night to celebrate our awesome members, get together to connect, and get excited about the future and also remember the great stuff from the recent past.
We had over 100 people come out and everyone had a coloured bracelet on so we could recognize people who have been here for a few days (Jump Starters) all the way up to members who’ve been around for 4-6+ years! (WOW).
The evening was broken up into several sections:
–Flexible Steel Training (with strength exercises paired up with flexibility)
–Smart Group Training (a higher tempo partner training session)
–Walk & Talk (where the goal was to connect with fellow members as we went for a walk down Gateway while doing random bodyweight exercises every few minutes….and trying to get some cars honking at us)
–Refreshments (where we had samples from Gorp, Freshii, smoothies and just continued to chit chat). We also hung out back at the OCR course and cheered on a few members who demonstrated some of their sweet moves!
We came inside for a big FF family group shot and then went through some highlights from the year indicating progress in each of the Fukumoto Fitness Core Values. Below are just some of the talking points from the evening:
- last year we said we would focus on improving quality vs expanding our clientele which we did (we currently have the same number of clients as the beginning of the year)
- we stayed firm with our intake process, never trying to convince anyone to join if we felt/they felt it wasn’t a good fit
- we stayed true to our hiring process, even increasing the already standards of our interviewing process! (we included video submission this year!)
- we let you in on a secret…our “No Client Left Behind” system where our team follows up systematically with members if people miss and make sure you guys have more accountability
- we finished both of pre/post natal and coaching development manuals
- we introduced a new challenge in summer with increased accountability
- highlighting many ways to document striving/progress NOT JUST WEIGHT LOSS…like attendance, increasing resistance, increasing variations, doing a home/vacation workout, improving nutrition in some way, asking for modifications, diligently working on injury recovery, getting others to be active, training when you ‘didn’t feel like it’…and many more
- heard from Brent (long-time member), Amanda (short-time member), Diana (member who recently overcoming injury), and Dorothy (long-time member who overcome a lot of challenges this year and is completing her 12-month nutrition program with FF)
- Keith conquered coaching program and became new coach!
- Andreina and Shawna entered into program and doing great!
- Jenn moved from cleaning team to Jump Start Coordinator
- Bobby joined the cleaning team
- Jen & Johnny working on role changes to create a working environment that is sustainable long-term for the staff team and their own family
- Barbara officially moving into Director of Operation role (don’t worry she is still coaching too!)
- said goodbye to Craig as SGT coach, Megan K as Jump Start Coordinator (not to be confused with Meghan B, our Client Care Coordinator), and a reduced coaching role for Jethro
- as a community, we got together for a bunch of special events like the winter potluck, 3 charity campaigns, Mud Hero locally, Red Deer Spartan race road trip, had a fall and winter games, and a bunch of you got together on your own time too!
- the level of daily encouragement, high 5’s, smiles, connecting and welcoming from you guys towards each others was top notch once again!
- you guys raised $35,000 for Romanian orphans, raised $2000+ for A.D.A.M. (Anxiety Disorders Association of MB), as well as a very successful Christmas food drive for the Community of Hope (PB, jam, cereal)
we passed the $100,000 raised for Burpees 4 Romania (you guys are amazing!)
We highlighted 3 areas of focus in the coming time (not exhaustive of course!)…
- continuing to strengthen and build our staff family so we can take care of each other and you guys better (the stronger we are, the more you will benefit)
- finding better and more ways of ‘sharing stories’ and celebration so that you can be more inspired, understand and live a fuller description of progress, and inspire others
- figuring out ways to connect/engage with long-term members who are truly pioneers in that…there is no model out there for what is ‘normal’ in terms of your goals, thoughts/feelings, as you have been committed for so long!
Recognized in the Community & Beyond
Sometimes its hard to know how awesome you guys are really doing and what you’re helping create here as really…its all we know when we’re here day in and day out but here are a few fun ‘bonuses’ that you guys can be proud of (that are not just about fitness):
- FF was asked to received a community award to be given by the Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba in September 2017 for our contribution to mental health awareness!
- FF received the top charity fundraising award for the year among participating gyms
- In regards to a lot of FF work with charity and community, Johnny received nomination for OCR Humanitarian International Award (Oct 2016)
- FF was nominated for Fitness Business of the Year 2017 (winner revealed next week!)
- Johnny is humbled to be speaking in Chicago on September 16 in front of a few hundred gym owners on “Building a Game-Changing Staff Family Culture”. We don’t have it perfect by any means but really are passionate to continue to be better at this and pass the down to our awesome clients (you guys!)
These awards/nominations are to be shared with you all as you all contribute to the community and spirit in which we’re able to operate. Even if we win nothing…and no one knows…we commit to still being about more than fitness, more than calorie-burning and we thank you for your efforts and heart! We hope you continue to take pride in our community, your community!
Thank you to all who attended and we were sad to miss those who could not! Thank you also to the FF staff who put all the work into a great night!
A special thank-you to the FF Business Family: Two Rivers Chiropractic Centre (Kimberly & Myron), Unruh Real Estate (David, Chris, Susan), and Stephen Schmidt (Restall & Restall) for providing awesome prizes for the event!